Friday, June 12, 2009

In Urdu...


'Urdu' is a Turkish word which means 'foreign' or 'horde'. This just shows that the language represents it's origin being an amalgamation of foreigners with the natives of South Asia. It was formulated by the interaction of foreign army, merchants and immigrants to India. Today, it is the national language of Pakistan and is quite similar to the ... Read moreneighbouring country India's national language Hindi. Infact, the grammar of Urdu is quite similar to Hindi. The forte of the language has been and still is it's literature that has some master pieces. Likewise, poets like Mirza Ghalib, Allama Iqbal, Faiz Ahmed Faiz have had a give and take relation with the language. Where they took the language as a bridge between their thoughts and their readers, they also gave the gems of their beautiful poetry to the language. Urdu involves numerous elements of Arabic as well as Persian. It also derives some matter from Sanskrit, a language still spoken in the city of Multan in Pakistan.


Ghalib, was a famous Poet who wrote in Urdu.. That musical language which merged Arabic, Persian, Turkish and Hindi.. He shared Rumi that mysterious style of mixing Divine and Man’s love.. You may read his words as a Prayer which would please Allah swt, or a Love-Song which would carry your heart to your woman.. Regretfully, I do not speak Urdu..!! However, I sincerely wish if I would do; and my woman too..!!

Gahey gahey isey pada kijey,Dil say behtar koi kitaab nahin ![Once in a while, you should read this, There is no other book better than your own heart !]
Sarkati jaayey hai rukh say naqaab aahista-aahista,Niklta aa raha hai aaftaab aahista-aahista ![Veil is moving down the face, slowly-slowly, Sun is coming out, slowly-slowly !]
Yeh rah-e-ishq nahin aag ka samundar hai,Lapakti mauj mein ghar tum sambhal sako to chalo ![This is not a road-of-love, it is ocean of fire, If you can handle yourself in rising waves, then walk with me !]
Har shama bhuji rafta rafta, har khwab luta dheeray dheeray,Sheesha na sahi pathar bhi na tha, dil toot gaya dheeray dheeray ![Every candle extinguished slowly-slowly, every dream got crushed slowly-slowly ; May be I wasn't fragile like glass, but I wasn't hard like stone either, my heart broke slowly-slowly !]
Ishq mein aaisay bhi hum doobay huey hain aapkay,Apnay chehray pay sada hota hain dokha aapka ![I am so crazy about you that, Even when I see my face, it feels as if I am looking at your face !]
Chaand sooraj dhoop subah kehkashan taaray shama,Har ujaalay nay churaaya hain ujaala aapka ![Moon, Sun, Sunlight, Dawn, Stars, Candle, Every light has stolen brightness from you !]
Kaisay sakoon paoon, tujhay dekhnay kay baad,Ab kya ghazal sunaoon, tujhay dekhnay kay baad ![How can I have peace, after seeing you, Now which ghazal I can say, after seeing you !]
Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gayey,Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaana ho gayey ![Slowly and steadily, she became the part of my personality, First love, then life and then she became the reason of my life !]
Gaysoon uday mehki fazan, jadoo karein aaankhay teri,Soya hua manzar kahoon, ya jaagta sapna kahoon ![When you let your hair loose, whole atmosphere gets filled with sweet fragrance, And your eyes are mystical, Shall I call it sleeping beauty or shall I call it a sweet dream !]

No comments:

Post a Comment